There is a very simple and straightforward way of explaining why you need to use a professional printing company, and that is this: because in any given print job so many things can go wrong.
Here are some examples:
1) the color can go wrong. It’s very difficult to get all the shades and tones correct in any kind of a print job, particularly one which has any level of complexity to it. Many professional printing companies will use very large four color presses and they have expert printers who have run millions of impressions. they know how to get your color to come out right.
2) Critical tasks such as cutting and folding can go wrong. there is a number of seemingly simple tasks which take place behind the scenes which many buyers of print do not give a great deal of thought to. Tasks such as cutting your materials after they have been printed, or folding them to the right specifications. If it isn’t done precisely, the job has to be done over or it’s sent out wrong.
3) Customer service departments can bail you out of a bad situation. Customer service departments can do things for you that might not be possible in mom and pop operations. they may be able to change the size of an order, put it on a rush status to get it out the door ahead of everyone else, or advise you when the materials you think you want can be obtained more cheaply using a different source.
4) Postal regulations can be complicated. you may have a beautifully designed catalog which is timed with the opening of a new location. If your printer does not understand the postal regulations in all their complexity, your mailing may be prohibited from being delivered.
5) Printing companies are staffed by people who have skills you may not have considered. Professional printing companies are staffed by people with related skills: those with strong graphics capabilities who can advise you on color choices. Writers and editors who can clean up your text if needed. A company with a high employee count has more people-resources than the mom and pops.
6) you can’t think of everything. you may have forgotten a few steps. It is easy enough to forget to do things even when you know exactly what you are doing, much less if you’re not proficient at something. take the pressure off yourself and use a professional.